Written as a training manual for chemistry-based laboratory technicians, this thoroughly updated fourth edition of the bestselling Analytical Chemistry for Technicians emphasizes the applied aspects rather than the theoretical ones. The book begins with classical quantitative analysis and follows with a practical approach to the complex world of sophisticated electronic instrumentation commonly used in real-world laboratories. Providing a foundation for the two key qualitiesthe analytical mindset and a basic understanding of the analytical instrumentationthis book helps prepare individuals for success on the job.
Chapters cover sample preparation, gravimetric analysis, titrimetric analysis, instrumental analysis, spectrochemical methods, such as atomic spectroscopy and UV-Vis and IR molecular spectrometry, chromatographic techniques, including gas chromatography and high-performance liquid chromatography, electroanalytical methods, and more. Incorporating an additional ten years of teaching experience since the publication of the third edition, the author has made significant updates and enhancements to the fourth edition.
– More than 150 new photographs and either new or reworked drawings spanning every chapter to assist the visual learner.
– A new chapter on mass spectrometry, covering GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-MS-MS, and ICP-MS.
– Thirteen new laboratory experiments.
– An introductory section before chapter 1 to give students a preview of general laboratory considerations, safety, laboratory notebooks, and instrumental analysis.
– Additional end-of-chapter problems, expanded “report”-type questions, and inclusion of relevant section headings in the Questions and Problems sections.
– Application Notes in each chapter.
– An appendix providing a glossary of quality assurance and good laboratory practice (GLP) terms.