This updated classic provides a superior introduction to applied probability and statistics for engineering or science majors. Author Sheldon Ross shows how probability yields insight into statistical problems, resulting in an intuitive understanding of the statistical procedures most often used by practicing engineers and scientists.
Real data sets are incorporated in a wide variety of exercises and examples. The Third Edition includes new exercises, examples, and applications, updated statistical material, and more.
New in this edition:
- New exercises and data examples including: The One-sided Chebyshev Inequality for Data, The Logistics Distribution and Logistic Regression, Estimation and Testing in proofreader problems, Product Form Estimates of Life Distributions, and Observational Studies
- updated statistical material
- and new, contemporary applications. Hallmark features of this book are, it: reflects Sheldon Ross’ masterfully clear exposition
- contains numerous examples, exercises, and homework problems
- is unique, easy-to-use software automates required computations
- applies probability theory to everyday statistical problems and situations
- careful development of probability, modeling, and statistical procedures leads to intuitive understanding.